Friday, January 06, 2006

Yes, I am an ODF!

So you want to know what an ODF is? OK, so you don't want to know. I am going to tell you anyway. I am a fully committed, seriously mentally disturbed and freakish "on-demand freak" . . . know by me and others as an ODF!

My rule for a simpler and easier life is -- never buy software anymore!

Now my ODF conviction is not a type of bigotry or religiousity like the Linux people have, reported recently:
Time for Linux bigots to take a back seat: ZDNet Australia: News: Software: "Linux and open source software has always been dogged by a kind of University campus idealism that is brutally incompatible with the harsh realities of the commercial world."
I would hope my commitedness to being an ODF is based on a more logical base that can be tested in a world of harsh realities. You see, this ODF conviction has come about by working in a world where there is no time to research, think and write about ideas given the time of academia where a 5,000 word paper can be researched and written over a period of a year. No, this world in which I live demands that I write everyday more than 2,000 words, and build a readership, and interact with people in the business, and take phone calls, and make up to six or seven contacts who are likely to be purchasers of NetSuite.

So why am I such an on-demand freak?

Simple, I do not have the time to continually evaluate software, purchase, maintain and add patches. Second, I need to have software that will be available to me at work, at home, when I travel, and so on. Now carrying a laptop doesn't cut it any more. Too heavy, too much trouble getting it through x-ray machines, and too to bother about in keeping the thing going. I want simple!

I don't want to download music, photographs or movies. I want that with any device I might use I can obtain what I want on-demand. Why download music and then have it go out of currency the day I have downloaded it? Why download software and find that it needs a patch to starta working properly. No, I want to use on-demand anything - music, photographs, anything.

The device I have in mind would be a mobile telephone-like tool that can play music for me, it can deliver my emails, it can be used to read documents, and anything I do with the software it uses is available to me on my computer at home, at work and any other device I might use.

As a committed ODF I use NetSuite for my business activities. NetSuite is the only full featured on-demand package that can run an entire business whether it be a small business or a large business unit of a conglomerate. Why NetSuite? Because only NetSuite can satisfy an ODF like me. There are just so many ways to use NetSuite, so many ways of doing things, so many ways of making it work -- even your unique business selling dorphs to dolphins could use it! And for another thing, my business is a virtual business (in some of its activities) and NetSuite just suits this perfectly.

So why am I telling you all this?

Because I want you to know that while I am an ODF and there are many ODFs around, the fact that there are ODFs mean that there are also people who are not ODFs -- you possibly being one of them! It's allright! I will let you be what you want to be, but if you want to really know the good, the bad and the ugly totally mixed and full of reality, then come and seek my advice about on-demand issues. I am not into selling anything. I will just tell you my life story as an ODF and you will know everything you need to know about on-demand stuff.

See you around more often!