Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Why On Demand Services Remove The Need for Backups

Let me shock you -- I have not done a backup of any of my work for the last six months. Now before you put me in the reckless category, let me tell you why. When I work on NetSuite, all my data does not reside on my little computer -- it is all stored in the data bank or database underlying the NetSuite applications. When I need a Word Processor, I do not usually use Microsoft Word, I use Writely and when I save my work it is saved in the Writely database. And when I write emails, I use the Gmail service where every email I have ever received and sent in the last year is stored.

SO when I was reading in The Channel Insider about a company called Global Data Vaulting I really has to ask myself whether in fact I would need such a service. In the article it gives as an example of Murray Smith from OneCoach whose laptop seized up -- but Global Data Vaulting saved the day as they had a complete backup of Murray Smith's computer. Now that might seem to be a good thing for Murray -- but personally I do not keep any data of any significance on my computer for two reasons.

First, I work from more than one computer and everything I work on is using on-demand applications that store my data in reputable storage facilities and backup that data regularly and have a maze of computers to hold my data and everyone else's data. It is like a bank -- I do not hold any significant cash in my pocket -- I keep it all in the bank or investments etc. NetSuite holds the majority of my data and work, and Writely holds my documents and so on. When I work from any computer anywhere in the world I have my work available to me.

Second, the computers I use are all on the Internet full-time and are at risk of having data-loggers, spywware and all manner of nasties. So I keep nothing of significance on my computer and every day maintain a watch using spyware removal and spyware watchers. Now if anything does happen to my computer -- I lose nothing and I do not need a backup service.

A backup service is what every good on demand application provides you with. NetSuite is no different here. Your information is secure -- my information is secure on NetSuite. I am predicting that services like that in Canada -- providing backup services on demand -- are not going to be with us very long.