Friday, December 09, 2005

Google is Stretching Itself Too Thinly

I am starting to wonder if Google isn't stretching itself a little thin. With interest, I noted other people who are starting to wonder if indeed Google is rather stretched: according to this discussion in Webproworld, Google supplies over 91 services to the public, most of them unpaid, that is, free to the public. Similar to Xodigo, the person discussing Google in Webproworld, I am afraid I do not find many of Google's searches producing as relevant search results as they used to. Unlike Xodigo, I cannot prove any findings on that matter, it is just that after I have completed a Google search, many times I then go to another search engine as Google has not satisfied my need of information. On going to MSN or Yahoo, I often find that I do get the information I required, or even A9 sometimes has a much better range of search listings to satiate my need for information.

Since Google established the Google Blog Search, and most of the blogs that once used to be included in Google have been separated out, it seems that Google has lost its key organizer which once provided the meat of information Google carried. Go to Yahoo and search for this blog (Notes from a Fast Company) and you do at least see a reference to this blog. BlogPulse has "Notes from a Fast Company" registered in its blog and this blog also has spawned some discussions indirectly and which BlogPulse carries the connections. Go and look in Google for information related to NetSuite and what you find are a bunch of old articles from 2003, 2004 & some in 2005 about NetSuite in USA but little here in Australia even though we have had our fair share of articles about NetSuite in Australia.

So what does all this mean to NetSuite Australia? What does it mean to the writer of this blog? And what does it mean to our readers?

My opinion, and I am going to give you my opinion as I control what is said on this blog (and dear reader if you don't want to know my opinion you may as well turn elsewhere now) is that an employee of a Fast Company, and any employee of a Fast Company, needs to understand the Internet and how it is developing. An understanding of the Internet means knowing how individuals can contribute to the development of information on the Internet, how it can be used to deliver services, both free and paid, how the world of blogs work and where the divide is between professionals who use blogs and businesses that use blogs to advertise in an advertorial manner and where news blogs and news sites come into the picture. One should also know the way in which each search engine interprets the Internet and presents an edited list of sites when certain search terms are used. There are many other aspects of the Internet we could also elaborate, however, what I have outlined in sufficient to make my point. By knowing the Internet and how this world of information and services is being constructed a Fast Company employee then has an understanding of what potential the Internet offers a company such as the one for which the employee works.

So back to Google -- the company that wants to organize the world's information. Can any company take on a brief as wide as that and deliver properly on all aspects? I doubt it. The history of companies worldwide is that when a company works on too many fields of endeavour, eventually that company either falters on all endeavours or shines on some and is overburdened with the others and eventually either dies as a company or sells of those aspects that are a burden.

That is why at NetSuite we have a very focussed goal -- to provide a complete service of all the software a small to mid-sized company needs to operate. And, oh, by the way, we will be the first ones to tell you if your particular company is not going to be serviced well with the software in the way it is structured today.